- A $500 Return on a $240k investment? Ouch!
Lynn is frustrated by the dismal return on her savings. Scott and Pat find a way to balance her risk tolerance with her need to earn more money.
- Should You Let Your Advisor Manage Your Whole Portfolio?
Retired state worker, Donna, asks if she should have her longtime advisor manage all her investments, or just a few.
- This is An IQ Test and You have Passed!
Don, a California state worker, asks if he should buy a pension service credit or invest his money somewhere else for a higher return.
- Investment Advice for the Golden Years
Scott Hanson and Pat McClain advise a son on how to help his 102-year old father invest for the future.
- Matching Risk to Your Retirement Timeline
Money Matters' Scott Hanson and Pat McClain work to match a caller's expectations with his possible time horizon until retirement.
- Long Term View: Advice for the Son of a Widow
Money Matters' Scott Hanson and Pat McClain discuss the proper asset allocation for an 80-year old widow.
- Warn Your Elderly Parent About Bad Bank Products
Retirement experts Scott Hanson and Pat McClain explain to caller how a big bank is taking advantage of his elderly mother-in-law, and how he can fix it.
- Pension: Once in a Lifetime Decision
Retirement experts Scott Hanson and Pat McClain, hosts of Money Matters, advise a caller on a strategy for protecting his pension income.
- Helping an Elderly Parent Invest
Scott and Pat help Dan determine if purchasing a fixed annuity is the right option for an Alzheimer's-stricken father-in-law.
- Problems Facing the U.S. Markets
Listen to an excerpt from Hanson McClain’s Money Matters show on January 16, 2016, where Scott and Pat discuss the current conditions of the U.S. markets and the problems we face which are causing market volatility.
- Kids or No Kids? You Still Need a Living Trust.
Retirement experts Scott Hanson and Pat McClain, hosts of Hanson McClain's Money Matters, advise an investor about wills and living trusts in California.
- Our Best Tips for Retiring Mortgage Free
Retirement experts Scott Hanson and Pat McClain explain the hidden benefits of paying off your mortgage.
- Retirement Withdrawal Strategies
Listen to Scott and Pat explain how Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) work as they help a caller determine when and how much to withdraw to meet the requirement.
- Slow the Tax Bite on an Inherited 401(k)
Listen to Scott and Pat help a caller review the RMD distribution rules for non-spouse beneficiaries and weigh in on what might be the best course of action with investing the 401(k) dollars.
- Should I Pay Off My Child's Mortgage?
Retirement experts Scott Hanson and Pat McClain, hosts of Money Matters financial topic radio show, advise a caller about complex estate planning issues.
- Maximizing the Benefits of Your Company Stock
Listen to Scott and Pat discuss how individuals with employer stock in their 401(k), a profit sharing plan, or ESOP can avoid paying taxes with a smart tax strategy of Net Unrealized Appreciation.
- Does an annuity make sense for an elderly parent?
Listen to Scott and Pat help a caller determine if an annuity is a good investment for his aging mother whose portfolio has declined in value.
- Should I invest in REITs?
Listen to Scott and Pat explain to a caller the disadvantages and advantages of REITs and Non-traded REITS. Should you invest in these alternative investments?
- Does it make sense for me to convert to a Roth IRA?
Listen to Scott and Pat help a caller decide if he should start converting his IRA to a Roth based on his taxable income now and in retirement.
- Why 401(k) loans are bad
Listen to Scott and Pat discuss why taking a loan from your 401(k) is a bad idea and can have a negative effect on your retirement savings.
- What should I do with my prize winnings?
From maximizing his 401(k), to amortizing his mortgage, listen as Scott and Pat advise a lucky caller who just won a huge jackpot!
- What are the probate taxes on inherited assets?
Scott and Pat explain how probate taxes work, what a "step-up in basis" is, & other types of taxes that may come into play when someone inherits assets.
- Where to put RMDs if not needed for retirement?
Listen to Scott and Pat help a caller determine where to invest his required minimum distributions (RMDs) and the possible tax implications.
- How do the returns of IRAs differ from Annuities?
Listen to Scott and Pat review a caller’s annuity and IRA account to evaluate whether the returns are what can be expected.
- How do I choose a Guardian for my children?
Listen to Scott and Pat review with a caller the differences between an Executor and Guardian. They advise on what to consider when appointing someone for the roles.
- Should You Withdraw from Your 401(k) or Your Roth First?
Listen to Scott and Pat help a caller decide how best to withdraw income from his retirement accounts to minimize his taxable income.
- Should I pay off my mortgage leading into retirement?
Listen to Scott and Pat help a caller decide if it would be in her best interest to pay off her mortgage before she retires.
- Does a Roth make sense for college funding?
Listen to Scott and Pat help a caller evaluate if a Roth 401(k) or IRA would allow for him to continue saving for retirement with the option of utilizing those same dollars for his kid’s college later on.
- Protecting Your IRA from Liability
Listen to Scott and Pat clarify for a caller whether or not his IRA accounts are protected from liability.
- Should I keep or sell a real estate inheritance?
Listen to Scott and Pat help a caller decide if he should hold on to a property he recently inherited or if it would make more sense to sell it.
- Gifting Stocks to Charity
Listen to Scott and Pat discuss how gifting appreciated stocks can have tax benefits and reset your cost basis if re-purchased.
- Is a Fixed Index Annuity a good investment?
Listen to Scott and Pat help a caller understand how a Fixed Index Annuity works, and if the investment is worth the rate of return.
- How should I allocate my 401(k)?
Pat and Scott discuss with a caller about her 401(k) investment options due to changes that her employer is making to the plan.
- Building Cash Reserves Within Universal Life Insurance
Scott Hanson and Pat McClain, co-hosts of Money Matters, discuss building cash reserves within a univeral life insurance.
- Complicated Financial World
Scott Hanson and Pat McClain, co-hosts of Money Matters, discuss how we live in a complicated financial world.
- What is a Maximum Funded Tax Advantage Life Insurance?
Scott Hanson and Pat McClain, co-hosts of Money Matters, explain pros and downside of a Maximum Funded Tax Advantage Life Insurance works.
- The Danger with Non-Traded REITs
Scott and Pat discuss the possible dangers and risks to investors regarding non-traded REITs.
- Should I save for retirement or fund my kid's college?
Scott Hanson and Pat McClain, co-hosts of Money Matters, review the question of saving for retirement or college funding.
- Am I Investing Correctly for Retirement?
Scott Hanson and Pat McClain, co-hosts of Money Matters, help a caller with his retirement planning questions.
- Is this disabled Veteran eligible for Social Security Benefits?
Scott Hanson and Pat McClain review a disabled Veterans options of either being self-employed or receiving Social Security Disability Income.
- Means Testing - A good reason to take Social Security now?
Scott Hanson and Pat McClain discuss with a soon-to-be retired caller about means testing and when to start collecting Social Security benefits.
- Pension Buyout or Annuity?
Scott and Pat review a caller's current assets, age, and rate of return to determine if a lump sum pension distribution makes sense.
- Are You an Emotional Investor?
Scott Hanson and Pat McClain, co-hosts of Money Matters, review a caller's current investments, assets, and emotional discomfort to help him with his investment choices.
- When Do I No Longer Need Life Insurance?
Scott Hanson and Pat McClain discuss when life insurance is needed and when it may no longer be necessary.
- How does a Longevity Annuity help defer Required Minimum Distributions?
Scott Hanson and Pat McClain, co-hosts of Money Matters, discuss how a Longevity Annuity works.
- Do I Have Enough Money to Retire?
Scott Hanson and Pat McClain help a caller review how much he has saved for retirement and what his income needs will be to help decide if he can retire this year.